Robin Selley

There are, sadly, regular news stories of people being affected by carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK, frequently caused by faulty works or appliances. The stark reality is that exposure to carbon monoxide can be extremely serious. There are approximately 400 admissions to hospital with Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning in England each year and a number of deaths.

Often such exposure comes following faulty works to appliances at home or in the workplace. But towards the end of 2016 it was reported by the HSE that a Housing Association had been prosecuted after allowing renovations to take place to properties that put residents at risk of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning, after chimneys had been removed from properties on two separate occasions.

The chimneys acted as the necessary gas flue for adjacent properties but this was only discovered during annual gas checks. No risk assessments had been carried out prior to this work being commenced and there was no procedure in place for this type of work for workers to follow.

Having pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act (1974) the Housing Association were fined £8,000.00.

Around seven people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

Not all claims for Housing Disrepair would include an element for personal injury but this type of exposure would undoubtedly present a potential claim for damages for any injury and loss suffered.

We now provide an After the Event Insurance Policy for Housing Disrepair claims, which can be used for small, fast or multi-track claims. Our policy covers claims for disrepair, dilapidation or neglect of any residential dwelling in addition to any related claim for personal injury.

We offer a fixed premium for Housing Disrepair claims, which remains unchanged throughout the life of the claim.

There are many benefits to our Housing Disrepair policies which you can find here.

 

Housing Association’s safety failings